If anyone is interested in applying for the open Network Engineer
position at WPI, please email me at cra(a)wpi.edu
Position Title: Network Engineer
Department: Computing and Communications Center
Location: Morgan Hall - Network Operations
Grade: Exempt - 820
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
Provide support to the satisfactory operation of the WPI network and
facilitate its use by members of the WPI community.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain and support the data network system including switches,
routers, wireless access points and battery backup systems
- Maintain data wiring and fiber infrastructure.
- Evaluate and beta test emergent technologies and code maintenance
- Coordinate with Helpdesk and other departments in the
troubleshooting and resolution of data network error conditions and
provide end-user support for communications and connectivity issues.
- Document the data network including topology, connections, and
appropriate billing information.
- Support physical plant renovations as they relate to the voice,
data, and video CATV infrastructure.
- Administer and backup of all Network Operations servers.
- Program and maintain network databases, documentation, inventory,
and monitoring applications.
- Provide 24/7connectivity for users of the data network including
adds/moves/changes and wireless connectivity.
- Supervise and support the student network assistants.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or
Computer Science in order to provide the necessary understanding of
communication technology and computer architecture with 4-5 years
professional experience in similar or related work.
- Experience with network hardware, cabling, and network management
software including experience in network troubleshooting.
- A thorough knowledge of Ethernet, wireless Ethernet, and TCP/IP
- Experience with Juniper Networks equipment preferable.
- Experience with computer programming and scripting languages.
- Experience with Linux systems administration.
- Ability to communicate clearly with all network users.