WLUG
By thread
wlug@lists.wlug.org
By month
Messages by month
- ----- 2026 -----
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2025 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2024 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2023 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2022 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2021 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2020 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2019 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2018 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2017 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2016 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2015 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2014 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2013 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2012 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2011 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2010 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2009 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2008 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2007 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2006 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2005 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2004 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2003 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2002 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2001 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2000 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- 11231 messages
Re: [Wlug] monitoring a Matrix 3000
by Karl Hiramoto
Ok. Obvously the serial port is working fine if you can login to it.
I'd try the UPS software agin. If it still doesn work. Maybee try
the windows software out. That would at least verify that your cable
is wired correctly to the UPS..
John Stoffel earlier mentioned using the apcupsd. I'd give that a
shot too. I use that to monitor some APC smart UPS's
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Bill Mills-Curran wrote:
> Karl,
>
> I've done the testing you suggested... I hooked up a null modem cable
> to another linux box that was configured to allow serial port logins.
> After using minicom to configure the port (9600 bps), I was able to
> log in. I could also exit minicom and, using 2 terminal windows:
>
> term 1: cat > /dev/ttyS0
> term 2: cat /dev/ttys0
>
> I was able to get the login and password prompts with the above, so I
> have some indication that the serial port is working, although I don't
> know if it's right for the UPS.
>
> My next test is to scrounge a signal analyzer (and someone who knows
> how to use it) to see if the upsd daemon is sending signals out the
> port.
>
> more below...
>
> On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Karl Hiramoto wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:16:23 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: Karl Hiramoto <karl(a)zoop.org>
> > Reply-To: wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> > To: Worcester Linux Users Group <wlug(a)mail.wlug.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Wlug] monitoring a Matrix 3000
> >
> > Bill,
> >
> > I've had problems with serial ports in the past. Usually a really
> > dumb reasion for it not working. Verify the BIOS has the port turned
> > on. With the default IO address and IRQ settings.
>
> Since I'm getting communications going, I don't think I need to dig
> deeper in the serial port (BIOS, IRQ, IO address). Do you agree?
>
> >
> > Does a mouse work on the port?
>
> Didn't try. Do I still need this?
>
> >
> > If you have a null modem cable. (Switches RX and TX lines) you can
> > hook two computers together. Run terminal programs on each (with the
> > same baud rate settings, no flow control). You should be able to type
> > chars between the two boxes. Have minicom installed? can it open the
> > port without an error? If you don't have a null modem
> > cable/connector you can pick them up at most radio shacks. Or you
> > could try communicating with an external modem.
>
> This worked.
>
> >
> > Running a redhat default kernel? Should work fine. If you compiled
> > your own make sure you have the serial port setup correctly in your
> > kernel config.
>
> I'm running the kernel from the 7.2 distro.
>
> >
> > Try chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0
>
> Yes, I did this.
>
> >
> > Serial HOWTO:
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html
>
> I looked at some of this. Thanks.
>
> >
> > Serial Laplink howto:
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-Laplink-HOWTO/index.html
> >
> > Have a DOS bootdisk? You could try running an old skool terminal
> > program like procomm or something like that. Or hypertermainal in M$
> > Windowz.
>
> Oooohhh. DOS to help debug linux? Yeouch. :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
> <snip>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wlug mailing list
> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
>
--
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Karl Hiramoto <karl(a)hiramoto.org>
Work: 978-425-2090 ext 25
Cell: 508-517-4819
Personal web page: http://karl.hiramoto.org/
Zoop Productions: http://www.zoop.org/
KTEQ Rapid City: http://www.kteq.org/
AOL IM ID = KarlH420
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
The worst part of valor is indiscretion.
June 4, 2002
Re: [Wlug] monitoring a Matrix 3000
by Bill Mills-Curran
Karl,
I've done the testing you suggested... I hooked up a null modem cable
to another linux box that was configured to allow serial port logins.
After using minicom to configure the port (9600 bps), I was able to
log in. I could also exit minicom and, using 2 terminal windows:
term 1: cat > /dev/ttyS0
term 2: cat /dev/ttys0
I was able to get the login and password prompts with the above, so I
have some indication that the serial port is working, although I don't
know if it's right for the UPS.
My next test is to scrounge a signal analyzer (and someone who knows
how to use it) to see if the upsd daemon is sending signals out the
port.
more below...
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Karl Hiramoto wrote:
> Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:16:23 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Karl Hiramoto <karl(a)zoop.org>
> Reply-To: wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> To: Worcester Linux Users Group <wlug(a)mail.wlug.org>
> Subject: Re: [Wlug] monitoring a Matrix 3000
>
> Bill,
>
> I've had problems with serial ports in the past. Usually a really
> dumb reasion for it not working. Verify the BIOS has the port turned
> on. With the default IO address and IRQ settings.
Since I'm getting communications going, I don't think I need to dig
deeper in the serial port (BIOS, IRQ, IO address). Do you agree?
>
> Does a mouse work on the port?
Didn't try. Do I still need this?
>
> If you have a null modem cable. (Switches RX and TX lines) you can
> hook two computers together. Run terminal programs on each (with the
> same baud rate settings, no flow control). You should be able to type
> chars between the two boxes. Have minicom installed? can it open the
> port without an error? If you don't have a null modem
> cable/connector you can pick them up at most radio shacks. Or you
> could try communicating with an external modem.
This worked.
>
> Running a redhat default kernel? Should work fine. If you compiled
> your own make sure you have the serial port setup correctly in your
> kernel config.
I'm running the kernel from the 7.2 distro.
>
> Try chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0
Yes, I did this.
>
> Serial HOWTO:
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html
I looked at some of this. Thanks.
>
> Serial Laplink howto:
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-Laplink-HOWTO/index.html
>
> Have a DOS bootdisk? You could try running an old skool terminal
> program like procomm or something like that. Or hypertermainal in M$
> Windowz.
Oooohhh. DOS to help debug linux? Yeouch. :-)
Thanks,
Bill
<snip>
June 4, 2002
Re: [Wlug] monitoring a Matrix 3000
by Karl Hiramoto
Bill,
I've had problems with serial ports in the past. Usually a really
dumb reasion for it not working. Verify the BIOS has the port turned
on. With the default IO address and IRQ settings.
Does a mouse work on the port?
If you have a null modem cable. (Switches RX and TX lines) you can
hook two computers together. Run terminal programs on each (with the
same baud rate settings, no flow control). You should be able to type
chars between the two boxes. Have minicom installed? can it open the
port without an error? If you don't have a null modem
cable/connector you can pick them up at most radio shacks. Or you
could try communicating with an external modem.
Running a redhat default kernel? Should work fine. If you compiled
your own make sure you have the serial port setup correctly in your
kernel config.
Try chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0
Serial HOWTO:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html
Serial Laplink howto:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-Laplink-HOWTO/index.html
Have a DOS bootdisk? You could try running an old skool terminal
program like procomm or something like that. Or hypertermainal in M$
Windowz.
Good luck.
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Bill Mills-Curran wrote:
> Karl,
>
> I agree that the serial port is the prime suspect. (I'm working the
> serial port test you suggested) Can you give any hints as to what
> might need to be configured? Note that this is a new installation,
> and I've done nothing to set up the port.
>
> Any suggestions what configuration changes or module loads I might
> need to enable traffic on ttyS0 and ttyS1?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
>
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Karl Hiramoto wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:53:02 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: Karl Hiramoto <karl(a)zoop.org>
> > Reply-To: wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> > To: Worcester Linux Users Group <wlug(a)mail.wlug.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Wlug] monitoring a Matrix 3000
> >
> >
> > Eliminate the basic stuff. Is the Serial port working? Hookup a
> > null modem to another box and verify that.
> >
> >
> > On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Bill Mills-Curran wrote:
> >
> > > I sent the message below to the UPS mailing list, but it's a pretty
> > > slow list, so I thought I'd see if anyone on WLUG might have an idea.
> > > I'm beginning to suspect a serial line configuration issue.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bill Mills-Curran
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > > Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 08:29:56 -0400 (EDT)
> > > To: Ups mailing list <ups(a)lists.exploits.org>
> > > Subject: monitoring a Matrix 3000
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've installed the nut rpm's from the RedHat 7.2 distribution:
> > >
> > > nut-cgi-0.45.0-3
> > > nut-0.45.0-3
> > > nut-client-0.45.0-3
> > >
> > > I am attempting to monitor the state of 2 APC Matrix UPS's; a model
> > > 3000 and a model 5000.
> > >
> > > I have two different sets of cables to work with; 940-0020B and
> > > 940-0024C.
> > >
> > > In short, I can't get any indication of communication between my linux
> > > box and the UPS. I've looked through the FAQ's and other
> > > documentation pretty carefully, but I must be missing something. Any
> > > direction anyone can give would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Documentation for these UPS's can be found at:
> > >
> > > http://sturgeon.apcc.com/techref.nsf/docID/3BF5FC2524F090888525675200631528…
> > >
> > > There's a description of the pinouts on p. 39.
> > >
> > > ****************
> > > Basic setup:
> > >
> > > I have a couple of racks of inter-dependent equipment powered from 2
> > > UPS's. The interdependence forces me to shut down all machines before
> > > either UPS fails.
> > >
> > > I plan to use a single linux box to monitor the state of the UPS's and
> > > to send shutdown signals (via small private network) to the servers
> > > when the battery gets low.
> > >
> > > The linux box is old hardware, but the linux software installation is
> > > new.
> > >
> > > In an effort to simplify the problem, I've dropped back to monitoring
> > > a single UPS.
> > >
> > > Below are the config files and results for using the two different
> > > cable types. For both config's, I set the permissions on /dev/ttyS0
> > > to 666.
> > >
> > > ****************
> > > Using the 940-0020B cables.
> > >
> > > Config files (without the comments):
> > >
> > > ****
> > > # /etc/sysconfig/ups
> > > SERVER=yes
> > > MODEL=genericups
> > > DEVICE=/dev/ttyS0
> > > OPTIONS="-t 2"
> > > ****
> > > # /etc/ups/upsd.conf
> > >
> > > UPS tls01 /usr/bin/genericups-ttyS0 -t 2 /dev/ttyS0
> > > ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
> > > ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
> > > ACCESS grant monitor localhost password
> > > ACCESS deny all all
> > > ****
> > > # /etc/ups/upsmon.conf
> > >
> > > MONITOR tls01@localhost 1 password slave
> > > MINSUPPLIES 1
> > > SHUTDOWNCMD "/root/bin/ups.pl shutdown"
> > > NOTIFYCMD "/root/bin/ups.pl notify"
> > > POLLFREQ 5
> > > POLLFREQALERT 5
> > > HOSTSYNC 15
> > > DEADTIME 15
> > > POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
> > > RBWARNTIME 43200
> > > NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
> > > *******
> > > Results:
> > >
> > > 1. The services (genericups, upsd, upsmonitor) started ok. I do get
> > > the message: UPS tls01@localhost is unavailable
> > >
> > > 2. upsc tls01@localhost gives the following:
> > >
> > > host: tls01@localhost
> > > No variables available! Check your upsd.conf entry for this UPS
> > >
> > > ****************
> > > Using the 940-0024C cables.
> > >
> > > Config files (without the comments):
> > >
> > > ****
> > > # /etc/sysconfig/ups
> > > SERVER=yes
> > > MODEL=apcsmart
> > > DEVICE=/dev/ttyS0
> > > OPTIONS=
> > > ****
> > > # /etc/ups/upsd.conf
> > >
> > > UPS tls01 /usr/bin/apcsmart-ttyS0 /dev/ttyS0
> > > ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
> > > ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
> > > ACCESS grant monitor localhost password
> > > ACCESS deny all all
> > > ****
> > > # /etc/ups/upsmon.conf
> > >
> > > MONITOR tls01@localhost 1 password slave
> > > MINSUPPLIES 1
> > > SHUTDOWNCMD "/root/bin/ups.pl shutdown"
> > > NOTIFYCMD "/root/bin/ups.pl notify"
> > > POLLFREQ 5
> > > POLLFREQALERT 5
> > > HOSTSYNC 15
> > > DEADTIME 15
> > > POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
> > > RBWARNTIME 43200
> > > NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
> > > *******
> > > Results:
> > >
> > > 1. The services (apcsmart, upsd, upsmonitor) started ok. I do get
> > > the message: UPS tls01@localhost is unavailable
> > >
> > > 2. upsc tls01@localhost gives the following:
> > >
> > > host: tls01@localhost
> > > No variables available! Check your upsd.conf entry for this UPS
> > >
> > > ****************
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > Bill
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wlug mailing list
> > > Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> > > http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
> > >
> >
> > --
> >
> > ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
> > Karl Hiramoto <karl(a)hiramoto.org>
> > Work: 978-425-2090 ext 25
> > Cell: 508-517-4819
> > Personal web page: http://karl.hiramoto.org/
> > Zoop Productions: http://www.zoop.org/
> > KTEQ Rapid City: http://www.kteq.org/
> > AOL IM ID = KarlH420
> > ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
> >
> > Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wlug mailing list
> > Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> > http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wlug mailing list
> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
>
--
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Karl Hiramoto <karl(a)hiramoto.org>
Work: 978-425-2090 ext 25
Cell: 508-517-4819
Personal web page: http://karl.hiramoto.org/
Zoop Productions: http://www.zoop.org/
KTEQ Rapid City: http://www.kteq.org/
AOL IM ID = KarlH420
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
If life is a stage, I want some better lighting.
June 4, 2002
Re: [Wlug] Quick tape question...
by Adam @ Oak
Simple question (to eliminate the obvious):
Is this happening with the norewind tape device? Is it possible you are
accidently using the rewind device?
-Adam
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Keller, Tim wrote:
> I've got an HP tape drive model C1537A that has the annoying trait of
> rewinding itself automatically.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions on ways to prevent this behavior?
>
> mt doesn't seem to have an option to turn this feature off.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim.
>
> Not so randomly generated tagline:
> "Meanwhile behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore..."
> - Some freaky dude who designed the sets for peewee's playhouse
> _______________________________________________
> Wlug mailing list
> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
>
"lingua machinationis creo, ergo sum"
_____________________________________________
Adam Keck The Mathworks
508-647-7298 Natick, Ma
www.mathworks.com
FreeNIX/Backup/Unix Administrator
_____________________________________________
June 4, 2002
RE: [Wlug] Quick tape question...
by Keller, Tim
Actually I just figured it out...
if your tape device is /dev/st0 the non rewinding version is /dev/nst0
Tim.
-----Original Message-----
From: Keller, Tim [mailto:Tim.Keller@stratus.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 11:56 AM
To: 'wlug(a)wlug.org'
Subject: [Wlug] Quick tape question...
I've got an HP tape drive model C1537A that has the annoying trait of
rewinding itself automatically.
Does anybody have any suggestions on ways to prevent this behavior?
mt doesn't seem to have an option to turn this feature off.
Thanks,
Tim.
Not so randomly generated tagline:
"Meanwhile behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore..."
- Some freaky dude who designed the sets for peewee's playhouse
_______________________________________________
Wlug mailing list
Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
June 4, 2002
Quick tape question...
by Keller, Tim
I've got an HP tape drive model C1537A that has the annoying trait of
rewinding itself automatically.
Does anybody have any suggestions on ways to prevent this behavior?
mt doesn't seem to have an option to turn this feature off.
Thanks,
Tim.
Not so randomly generated tagline:
"Meanwhile behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore..."
- Some freaky dude who designed the sets for peewee's playhouse
June 4, 2002
Re: [Wlug] Multiple mice on a laptop
by Nate Godin
Hmm... I did this a while back, setting up a serial trackball in addition
to my PS2 mouse on my desktop... you have to load a the XInput module, and
do some XF86Config tweaking... I don't have the config file I used
anymore, but I recall figuring out how to do it by reading the XF86Config
man page... here's an example...
Here is an example of a ServerLayout section for a dual
headed configuration with two mice:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout 1"
Screen "MGA 1"
Screen "MGA 2" RightOf "MGA 1"
InputDevice "Keyboard 1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse 1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Mouse 2" "SendCoreEvents"
Option "BlankTime" "5"
EndSection
My G4 Powerbook actually seems to be able to do this automatically, I'll
go boot that over to Linux and post the XF86Config file...
Nate
--
Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens
to you.
-- Aldous Huxley
June 4, 2002
Multiple mice on a laptop
by Adam Elliott
Hello,
I've got a laptop that usually resides in a docking station at work, where
it is connected to an ordinary wheelmouse. That works fine.
When I take the laptop out of the docking station, disconnect the mouse,
and start up Linux again (so using the touchpad), the pointer tends to go
crazy. Now, I know the reason for this is the protocol is wrong in the
XF86Config file. The wheelmouse uses IMPS/2 with 5 buttons (3+wheel), the
touchpad PS/2 with 2 buttons. I can fix this by editing the XF86Config
file appropriately, and the touchpad works fine.
Now, my question is: Is there any way to get Linux to automatically figure
out that the mouse is not attached, and so fall back on the touchpad?
BTW, I've set up two "Pointer" sections in XF86Config, and just adjust the
CorePointer line to reference the correct one. XFree doesn't like having
two CorePointers. I'm using SuSE 7.3, XFree86 4.x if it matters.
Thanks,
-Adam
June 4, 2002
Re: [Wlug] monitoring a Matrix 3000
by Bill Mills-Curran
Karl,
I agree that the serial port is the prime suspect. (I'm working the
serial port test you suggested) Can you give any hints as to what
might need to be configured? Note that this is a new installation,
and I've done nothing to set up the port.
Any suggestions what configuration changes or module loads I might
need to enable traffic on ttyS0 and ttyS1?
Thanks,
Bill
On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Karl Hiramoto wrote:
> Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:53:02 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Karl Hiramoto <karl(a)zoop.org>
> Reply-To: wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> To: Worcester Linux Users Group <wlug(a)mail.wlug.org>
> Subject: Re: [Wlug] monitoring a Matrix 3000
>
>
> Eliminate the basic stuff. Is the Serial port working? Hookup a
> null modem to another box and verify that.
>
>
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Bill Mills-Curran wrote:
>
> > I sent the message below to the UPS mailing list, but it's a pretty
> > slow list, so I thought I'd see if anyone on WLUG might have an idea.
> > I'm beginning to suspect a serial line configuration issue.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bill Mills-Curran
> >
> >
> >
> > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 08:29:56 -0400 (EDT)
> > To: Ups mailing list <ups(a)lists.exploits.org>
> > Subject: monitoring a Matrix 3000
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've installed the nut rpm's from the RedHat 7.2 distribution:
> >
> > nut-cgi-0.45.0-3
> > nut-0.45.0-3
> > nut-client-0.45.0-3
> >
> > I am attempting to monitor the state of 2 APC Matrix UPS's; a model
> > 3000 and a model 5000.
> >
> > I have two different sets of cables to work with; 940-0020B and
> > 940-0024C.
> >
> > In short, I can't get any indication of communication between my linux
> > box and the UPS. I've looked through the FAQ's and other
> > documentation pretty carefully, but I must be missing something. Any
> > direction anyone can give would be appreciated.
> >
> > Documentation for these UPS's can be found at:
> >
> > http://sturgeon.apcc.com/techref.nsf/docID/3BF5FC2524F090888525675200631528…
> >
> > There's a description of the pinouts on p. 39.
> >
> > ****************
> > Basic setup:
> >
> > I have a couple of racks of inter-dependent equipment powered from 2
> > UPS's. The interdependence forces me to shut down all machines before
> > either UPS fails.
> >
> > I plan to use a single linux box to monitor the state of the UPS's and
> > to send shutdown signals (via small private network) to the servers
> > when the battery gets low.
> >
> > The linux box is old hardware, but the linux software installation is
> > new.
> >
> > In an effort to simplify the problem, I've dropped back to monitoring
> > a single UPS.
> >
> > Below are the config files and results for using the two different
> > cable types. For both config's, I set the permissions on /dev/ttyS0
> > to 666.
> >
> > ****************
> > Using the 940-0020B cables.
> >
> > Config files (without the comments):
> >
> > ****
> > # /etc/sysconfig/ups
> > SERVER=yes
> > MODEL=genericups
> > DEVICE=/dev/ttyS0
> > OPTIONS="-t 2"
> > ****
> > # /etc/ups/upsd.conf
> >
> > UPS tls01 /usr/bin/genericups-ttyS0 -t 2 /dev/ttyS0
> > ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
> > ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
> > ACCESS grant monitor localhost password
> > ACCESS deny all all
> > ****
> > # /etc/ups/upsmon.conf
> >
> > MONITOR tls01@localhost 1 password slave
> > MINSUPPLIES 1
> > SHUTDOWNCMD "/root/bin/ups.pl shutdown"
> > NOTIFYCMD "/root/bin/ups.pl notify"
> > POLLFREQ 5
> > POLLFREQALERT 5
> > HOSTSYNC 15
> > DEADTIME 15
> > POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
> > RBWARNTIME 43200
> > NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
> > *******
> > Results:
> >
> > 1. The services (genericups, upsd, upsmonitor) started ok. I do get
> > the message: UPS tls01@localhost is unavailable
> >
> > 2. upsc tls01@localhost gives the following:
> >
> > host: tls01@localhost
> > No variables available! Check your upsd.conf entry for this UPS
> >
> > ****************
> > Using the 940-0024C cables.
> >
> > Config files (without the comments):
> >
> > ****
> > # /etc/sysconfig/ups
> > SERVER=yes
> > MODEL=apcsmart
> > DEVICE=/dev/ttyS0
> > OPTIONS=
> > ****
> > # /etc/ups/upsd.conf
> >
> > UPS tls01 /usr/bin/apcsmart-ttyS0 /dev/ttyS0
> > ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
> > ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
> > ACCESS grant monitor localhost password
> > ACCESS deny all all
> > ****
> > # /etc/ups/upsmon.conf
> >
> > MONITOR tls01@localhost 1 password slave
> > MINSUPPLIES 1
> > SHUTDOWNCMD "/root/bin/ups.pl shutdown"
> > NOTIFYCMD "/root/bin/ups.pl notify"
> > POLLFREQ 5
> > POLLFREQALERT 5
> > HOSTSYNC 15
> > DEADTIME 15
> > POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
> > RBWARNTIME 43200
> > NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
> > *******
> > Results:
> >
> > 1. The services (apcsmart, upsd, upsmonitor) started ok. I do get
> > the message: UPS tls01@localhost is unavailable
> >
> > 2. upsc tls01@localhost gives the following:
> >
> > host: tls01@localhost
> > No variables available! Check your upsd.conf entry for this UPS
> >
> > ****************
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Bill
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wlug mailing list
> > Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> > http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
> >
>
> --
>
> ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
> Karl Hiramoto <karl(a)hiramoto.org>
> Work: 978-425-2090 ext 25
> Cell: 508-517-4819
> Personal web page: http://karl.hiramoto.org/
> Zoop Productions: http://www.zoop.org/
> KTEQ Rapid City: http://www.kteq.org/
> AOL IM ID = KarlH420
> ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
>
> Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wlug mailing list
> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
>
June 4, 2002
Re: [Wlug] FORSALE: DEC 3000 model 900 (fwd)
by Aaron Haviland
Chuck Homic said:
> > Its 100 bucks OBO now... :-)
>
> Man, I wish I had room for more crap. I'd love to play with another
> non-Intel system. I'm pretty sure Linux will run on it, but anyway....
>
> Surely someone has noticed this part:
>
> > RGB video card w/21 inch RGB monitor
>
> OBO is a good deal for a 21 inch monitor, with or without an Alpha attached!
> Someone should buy this. ;)
from what I can tell, linux *won't* run on DEC 3000's... but NetBSD
will. seems any attempts to port linux to that specific architecture
stoped around kernel v2.2.10 and had a lot to do with the TURBOChannel
stuff.
(i usually go by debian's port listing to find out what architechtures
work. http://debian.org/ports/alpha/sys_types)
but man... (like i need another piece of crap in my bedroom) i want to
try :)
--
Aaron Haviland orion [at] tribble [dot] dyndns [dot] org
orion [at] parsed [dot] net
This sig. intentionally left blank.
June 4, 2002