WLUG
By thread
wlug@lists.wlug.org
By month
Messages by month
- ----- 2026 -----
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2025 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2024 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2023 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2022 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2021 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2020 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2019 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2018 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2017 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2016 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2015 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2014 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2013 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2012 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2011 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2010 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2009 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2008 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2007 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2006 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2005 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2004 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2003 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2002 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2001 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2000 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- 1 participants
- 11232 messages
Re: [Wlug] Hello from new member. April topics?
by Jamie Guinan
Some time ago I fixed an HP6L with a kit from these guys,
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/
The rubber shoes on the paper picker had dried up. They sent me
a kit with new parts and an mpeg movie showing how to
disassemble/fix/reassemble the printer. $39 as I recall.
-Jamie
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Terry S wrote:
> Well, it was a while ago...
>
> ...in a nutshell, I was rebuilding base system and the portage tree a
> few months after install, following instructions posted and detailed
> reasoning explained by a senior Gentoo developer.
>
> After a few problems problems, the error that blocked me from fixing
> anything else was that the rsync server I chose at install time was no
> longer valid, which I verified by looking at the list again. But no one
> seemed to know how to change it, and I just couldn't deal with
> re-installing the whole thing at that time (I did a Stage 2, which took
> 2 days).
>
> I still have Gentoo installed on that computer, but I just don't have
> time to deal with it right now. Maybe in the summer, then again, maybe
> not. Slackware may be more appropriate, considering time constraints. I
> have it installed (dual-boot) on the Windows box I'm using right now,
> but I barely have time to touch it...hope to change that in the next
> couple of weeks!
>
> Actually, the first thing I want to do is install Slackware on my
> laptop. I might do that in the next week.
>
> Several things going on right now. Like needing to get a used network
> printer with "tabloid-size" capability installed on my Windows box, then
> (fingers crossed) getting it installed under Linux, too -- oh, joy
> [sarcasm]! *But first* there's this mechanism that I didn't realize
> needs replacing about every 6 years -- and it's $180 to buy -- and first
> I have to figure out how to get the darn mechanism apart and cleaned,
> because sometimes that can be the problem...I wonder if I should just
> give up and shell out the $180 bucks!
>
> Thanks Eric and Eric for your offers of help.
>
> Sincerely,
> Terry S
>
>
> Eric Martin wrote:
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
> >
> > Why yes I did teach a Worcester Nightlife course on linux. Like Eric
> > Stein said, I'd be happy to help you out with gentoo's portage. If you
> > don't mind my asking, what sort of problems did you have with it?
> > Eric
> >
> > Terry S wrote:
> >
> >> - Avoiding problems with package-management systems (I had a nightmare
> >> with rsync on Gentoo).
> >>
> >
> >> (p.s. to Eric Martin -- I think I know you. Did you teach a Night Life
> >> course on Linux?)
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Wlug mailing list
> >> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> >> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
> >>
> >
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
> > Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
> >
> > iD8DBQFGAoVmaI8VEtSi4H8RAj7cAJ42rqpKjjuBpLQD0zmNM7QvY5qpXwCeIn2l
> > ENOUycXi3oiX77TnZbeFszk=
> > =JtnG
> > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wlug mailing list
> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
>
March 23, 2007
Re: [Wlug] Hello from new member. April topics?
by Christian Roy
This is in fact specified in /etc/make.conf.
The configuration line is SYNC="<SERVER>"
- Christian Roy
Eric Stein wrote:
> That is probably specified in /etc/make.conf.
>
> Eric
>
> Terry S wrote:
>> Well, it was a while ago...
>>
>> ...in a nutshell, I was rebuilding base system and the portage tree a
>> few months after install, following instructions posted and detailed
>> reasoning explained by a senior Gentoo developer.
>>
>> After a few problems problems, the error that blocked me from fixing
>> anything else was that the rsync server I chose at install time was no
>> longer valid, which I verified by looking at the list again. But no
>> one seemed to know how to change it, and I just couldn't deal with
>> re-installing the whole thing at that time (I did a Stage 2, which
>> took 2 days).
>>
>> I still have Gentoo installed on that computer, but I just don't have
>> time to deal with it right now. Maybe in the summer, then again, maybe
>> not. Slackware may be more appropriate, considering time constraints.
>> I have it installed (dual-boot) on the Windows box I'm using right
>> now, but I barely have time to touch it...hope to change that in the
>> next couple of weeks!
>>
>> Actually, the first thing I want to do is install Slackware on my
>> laptop. I might do that in the next week.
>>
>> Several things going on right now. Like needing to get a used network
>> printer with "tabloid-size" capability installed on my Windows box,
>> then (fingers crossed) getting it installed under Linux, too -- oh,
>> joy [sarcasm]! *But first* there's this mechanism that I didn't
>> realize needs replacing about every 6 years -- and it's $180 to buy --
>> and first I have to figure out how to get the darn mechanism apart and
>> cleaned, because sometimes that can be the problem...I wonder if I
>> should just give up and shell out the $180 bucks!
>>
>> Thanks Eric and Eric for your offers of help.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Terry S
> _______________________________________________
> Wlug mailing list
> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
>
March 23, 2007
Re: [Wlug] Hello from new member. April topics?
by Eric Stein
That is probably specified in /etc/make.conf.
Eric
Terry S wrote:
> Well, it was a while ago...
>
> ...in a nutshell, I was rebuilding base system and the portage tree a
> few months after install, following instructions posted and detailed
> reasoning explained by a senior Gentoo developer.
>
> After a few problems problems, the error that blocked me from fixing
> anything else was that the rsync server I chose at install time was no
> longer valid, which I verified by looking at the list again. But no
> one seemed to know how to change it, and I just couldn't deal with
> re-installing the whole thing at that time (I did a Stage 2, which
> took 2 days).
>
> I still have Gentoo installed on that computer, but I just don't have
> time to deal with it right now. Maybe in the summer, then again, maybe
> not. Slackware may be more appropriate, considering time constraints.
> I have it installed (dual-boot) on the Windows box I'm using right
> now, but I barely have time to touch it...hope to change that in the
> next couple of weeks!
>
> Actually, the first thing I want to do is install Slackware on my
> laptop. I might do that in the next week.
>
> Several things going on right now. Like needing to get a used network
> printer with "tabloid-size" capability installed on my Windows box,
> then (fingers crossed) getting it installed under Linux, too -- oh,
> joy [sarcasm]! *But first* there's this mechanism that I didn't
> realize needs replacing about every 6 years -- and it's $180 to buy --
> and first I have to figure out how to get the darn mechanism apart and
> cleaned, because sometimes that can be the problem...I wonder if I
> should just give up and shell out the $180 bucks!
>
> Thanks Eric and Eric for your offers of help.
>
> Sincerely,
> Terry S
March 23, 2007
Re: [Wlug] Hello from new member. April topics?
by Terry S
Well, it was a while ago...
...in a nutshell, I was rebuilding base system and the portage tree a
few months after install, following instructions posted and detailed
reasoning explained by a senior Gentoo developer.
After a few problems problems, the error that blocked me from fixing
anything else was that the rsync server I chose at install time was no
longer valid, which I verified by looking at the list again. But no one
seemed to know how to change it, and I just couldn't deal with
re-installing the whole thing at that time (I did a Stage 2, which took
2 days).
I still have Gentoo installed on that computer, but I just don't have
time to deal with it right now. Maybe in the summer, then again, maybe
not. Slackware may be more appropriate, considering time constraints. I
have it installed (dual-boot) on the Windows box I'm using right now,
but I barely have time to touch it...hope to change that in the next
couple of weeks!
Actually, the first thing I want to do is install Slackware on my
laptop. I might do that in the next week.
Several things going on right now. Like needing to get a used network
printer with "tabloid-size" capability installed on my Windows box, then
(fingers crossed) getting it installed under Linux, too -- oh, joy
[sarcasm]! *But first* there's this mechanism that I didn't realize
needs replacing about every 6 years -- and it's $180 to buy -- and first
I have to figure out how to get the darn mechanism apart and cleaned,
because sometimes that can be the problem...I wonder if I should just
give up and shell out the $180 bucks!
Thanks Eric and Eric for your offers of help.
Sincerely,
Terry S
Eric Martin wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Why yes I did teach a Worcester Nightlife course on linux. Like Eric
> Stein said, I'd be happy to help you out with gentoo's portage. If you
> don't mind my asking, what sort of problems did you have with it?
> Eric
>
> Terry S wrote:
>
>> - Avoiding problems with package-management systems (I had a nightmare
>> with rsync on Gentoo).
>>
>
>> (p.s. to Eric Martin -- I think I know you. Did you teach a Night Life
>> course on Linux?)
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wlug mailing list
>> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
>> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
>>
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
> iD8DBQFGAoVmaI8VEtSi4H8RAj7cAJ42rqpKjjuBpLQD0zmNM7QvY5qpXwCeIn2l
> ENOUycXi3oiX77TnZbeFszk=
> =JtnG
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
March 23, 2007
Re: [Wlug] Hello from new member. April topics?
by Eric Martin
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
Why yes I did teach a Worcester Nightlife course on linux. Like Eric
Stein said, I'd be happy to help you out with gentoo's portage. If you
don't mind my asking, what sort of problems did you have with it?
Eric
Terry S wrote:
> - Avoiding problems with package-management systems (I had a nightmare
> with rsync on Gentoo).
>
>
> (p.s. to Eric Martin -- I think I know you. Did you teach a Night Life
> course on Linux?)
> _______________________________________________
> Wlug mailing list
> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
iD8DBQFGAoVmaI8VEtSi4H8RAj7cAJ42rqpKjjuBpLQD0zmNM7QvY5qpXwCeIn2l
ENOUycXi3oiX77TnZbeFszk=
=JtnG
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
March 22, 2007
Hello from new member. April topics?
by Terry S
Hello,
My name is Terry. I've wanted to attend WLUG meetings for a couple years
but the schedule never worked out. Right now, Wednesdays are good!
I look forward to seeing what the meetings are like and the mixture of
people. Recently installed Slackware on one of my PCs. Looking forward
to re-learn the basics (had a long illness, then just other stuff), move
to Linux for the long haul, and be productive using its software.
*Suggested April Topics?*
- Package installation and updates (esp Mozilla products).
- Avoiding problems with package-management systems (I had a nightmare
with rsync on Gentoo).
- Anything on setting up and configuring personal keys, certificates,
basic firewall on Linux.
Sincerely,
Terry S.
(p.s. to Eric Martin -- I think I know you. Did you teach a Night Life
course on Linux?)
March 22, 2007
Re: [Wlug] Hello from new member. April topics?
by Eric Stein
Hi Terry!
Terry S wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Terry. I've wanted to attend WLUG meetings for a couple years
> but the schedule never worked out. Right now, Wednesdays are good!
>
Great! Show up, I don't. Something always comes up.
> I look forward to seeing what the meetings are like and the mixture of
> people. Recently installed Slackware on one of my PCs. Looking forward
> to re-learn the basics (had a long illness, then just other stuff), move
> to Linux for the long haul, and be productive using its software.
>
It's hard at first, but you get used to it.
> *Suggested April Topics?*
>
> - Package installation and updates (esp Mozilla products).
>
Your package manager should make that really easy.
> - Avoiding problems with package-management systems (I had a nightmare
> with rsync on Gentoo).
>
Technically, the package management system for Gentoo is portage
(emerge), but I'm nitpicking. I'll be glad to help you with gentoo
related problems.
> - Anything on setting up and configuring personal keys, certificates,
> basic firewall on Linux.
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Terry S.
>
> (p.s. to Eric Martin -- I think I know you. Did you teach a Night Life
> course on Linux?)
> _______________________________________________
> Wlug mailing list
> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
>
March 22, 2007
Fw: Suse Linux Professional 10?
by douglas.r.akerï¼ verizon.com
Thanks to all who responded to my query. I really got a lot of good
information and food for thought!
Doug
----- Forwarded by Doug Aker/EMPL/MA/Verizon on 03/21/2007 06:28 PM -----
Doug Aker/EMPL/MA/Verizon
03/20/2007 02:33 PM
To
"Worcester Linux Users Group" <wlug(a)mail.wlug.org>
cc
Subject
Re: [Wlug] Suse Linux Professional 10?
OK, did so more research. Looks like it's called OpenSuse 10.2. Read
some reviews. Some good, some not so good.
Also considering switching to Fedora Core 4 or (K)Ubuntu 6.10. Any
thoughts for or against these distro's?
Has anyone ever used: http://www.thelinuxstore.ca/ ?
Thanks,
Doug
Doug Aker/EMPL/MA/Verizon@VZNotes
Sent by: wlug-bounces(a)mail.wlug.org
03/20/2007 10:54 AM
Please respond to
"Worcester Linux Users Group" <wlug(a)mail.wlug.org>
To
"Worcester Linux Users Group" <wlug(a)mail.wlug.org>
cc
Subject
[Wlug] Suse Linux Professional 10?
Hi all:
The last Suse Linux software I purchased for laptop use was Suse Linux
Professional 9.2. Looking now to upgrade to 10. Anyone know the latest
Suse release for desktop use? And I don't think they call it "Suse Linux
Professional" anymore. And did Suse ever solve that Yast slowness problem
(at least I think it was something like that).
Thanks,
Doug _______________________________________________
Wlug mailing list
Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
March 21, 2007
Re: [Wlug] Progress with new Sparc????
by Adam Gomes
Ken,
I'm still a little confused. Are you trying to boot an already installed
OS, or are you trying to boot from cd? If the former is true, what does
the partition table on the drive look like?
BTW, the sun serial console should work at 9600/8/n/1 on a null modem
cable connected to your PC's serial port (or even an old vt100 terminal).
Can you share with me the output of probe-scsi?
If you get me a little more info, I can probably help you out. Like I
said, I run linux on sparc at home (and have for years), and I used to be
a sparc / solaris system admin a few years back.
Anyway, good luck.
--Adam
On Tue, March 20, 2007 9:40 pm, ken jones said:
> Doug et al
>
> I found my cross over cables. printenv told me to set up at 9600bps ASCI
> 8 none 1. I have tried VT100 and auto-detect. When I turn on the sparc
> it tells me that it is using ttya for input. However, my hyperterminal
> sees nothing. If I slow down the expected clock rate to 2400 I get to
> letters "pp" when I startup the sparc. I do not get "ok" and I get no
> response when I hit the "Enter" key. Too bad, since that connection
> would allow me to show you what my terminal is saying.
>
> I did get a good response from probe-scsi and probe-scsi-all. It saw
> both hard drives.
>
> I am now trying test-all. Last time it just hung but now it seems to be
> correctly testing the terminal screen.
>
> OKAY! I know something. Self test failed a Transceiver check. It says:
> Transceiver check -- failed
> Selftest Failed. Return Code = -1
> Testing sbus@1f, 0/SUNW, fas@e 8800000
> CE DMA fill from address ffef8000 for 80 bytes
> Testing sbus@1f, 0/SUNW fdtwo@f, 1400000
> Testing floppy disk system. A formatted disk should be in the drive.
> No diskette or incorrect format.
> Self test failed. Return code = -1
>
> I wondered what is the "transceiver test" which is failing. The word
> "transceiver" usually is referring to I/O. I was correct. I installed
> the ethernet cable and the transceiver test passed.
>
> I know one thing now. The CDROM reader does not work. Part of test-all
> is to check for a formatted disk in the reader. I put a known good disk
> in, but the SUN does not see it. That does not explain why it will not
> boot up correctly. It should note that there is no disk and boot to
> installed linux.
>
> My latest status is to try booting over my office network. I gave my
> home router/DHCP server the new sparc's ethernet address and assigned
> an IP address. I have no idea whether the sparc is configured to
> expect a DHCP address. I do not see where I can configure that.
>
> Ken Jones
>
>
>
> Doug Mildram wrote:
>> doug> I know the Sparc a bit.
>>
>> give me a call hell, i am trashing sparc's here, incl. 1 ultra1
>>
>> also: sun keyboard is a big factor. If it's seen at powerup,
>> its the console (monitor or no monitor)
>>
>> if keyb not attached on powerup,
>> the com1 equivalent /dev/ttya (DIN or 25pin, varies)
>> becomes the console.
>>
>>
>> doug 508-243-6580 cell
>>
>>
>> MORE RANDOM TIPS TO MYSELF YEARS AGO:
>> on a SPARC instead of BIOS we have "eeprom" or "rom prompt"....
>>
>> There's no "F2" or "DELETE" hint during bootup,
>> but there is one "dangerous" way to stop either the OS or the boot-up.
>>
>> L1-a or STOP-A is like a ctl-Z to the OS...or an interrupt a
>> bootup.
>>
>> eeprom prompt is "ok"
>> ok>
>>
>> If you accidentally STOP the OS by mistake you can get it to go BACK UP
>> WITH
>>
>> ok> go
>> or maybe
>> ok> continue
>>
>> normally we do NOT DO MUCH with the eeprom settings,
>> AND, it is possible to tweak eeprom settings from either situation:
>> 1) from the ok> prompt with "setenv"
>> 2) from SOLARIS with # eeprom
>>
>> So you can see all the settings with a simple anyuser% /usr/sbin/eeprom
>>
>> Syntax is slightly different. I wont talk about UNIX "eeprom" anymore
>> except to say there is a man page.
>>
>> BACK TO THE ok> PROMPT you can...most notably:
>>
>> ok> setenv auto-boot? false
>> or
>> ok> setenv auto-boot? true
>>
>> the question mark is not a "wild character". It just implies
>> that it's a true/false parameter.
>>
>> false means it will *NOT* boot to solaris... on power up.
>> true means "normal"...will try to load solaris from boot-device
>>
>> a UNIX "reboot" command will override this setting.
>>
>> -----boot "device" in eeprom
>> NORMALLY the eeprom setting for boot-device has a few words
>> and "disk" should be the first word.
>>
>> ok> printenv boot-device
>>
>> may return disk diskbrd diskisp disksoc net
>> I only know what "disk" and "net" means.....
>> "net" is useless unless you have another "diskless server" set
>> up.
>>
>>
>>
>> ok> probe-scsi (can you see the CD drive?)
>> Target 0
>> Unit 0 Disk .....
>>
>>
>> maybe not . but if the CD is on an external scsi bus you may need to
>> say
>>
>> ok> probe-scsi-all (can you see the CD drive?)
>>
>> pci@1f,4000/scsi@3,1 (a 2nd controller for the external scsi port)
>> Target 6
>> Unit 0 removable read only device TOSHIBA.....
>> Unit 0 Disk .....
>>
>> pci@1f,4000/scsi@3
>> Target 0
>> Unit 0 Disk .....
>>
>> BACK TO installation. hopefully you simply say:
>>
>> with solaris2.7 CD in the drive,
>>
>> ok> boot cdrom
>>
>> didnt work? it must have been looking for
>>
>>
>> ok> devalias
>>
>> shows
>>
>> cdrom /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@6,0:f
>>
>> BUT I HAD A CD drive on the 3,1 controller so I can say:
>>
>> boot /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3,1/disk@6,0:f
>>
>> AND THIS WORKED on this particular machine.
>>
>> (if you see the CD light come on, and eventually see some kernel string
>> like
>>
>> SunOS 5.7 Generic_106541-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
>>
>>
>> THEN YOU KNOW you got the right command.
>>
>> Next you hope your CD and CD drive dont have too many read errors.
>>
>> ok>
>>
>>
>> SPECIAL BOOT ARGUMENT......to rebuild /dev* entries.
>>
>> lets say you ADD HARDWARE like a 2nd disk.
>>
>> UNIX% halt
>> ...add a disk if you can...then you'd want to
>>
>> ok> boot -r (THIS Reconfigures /dev and /devices,
>> so it would add /dev/???/??? for the new disk)
>>
>> SPECIAL BOOT ARGUMENT......to stop at singleuser.
>>
>>
>> ok> boot -s (would stop at runlevel 1 for the default kernel ..on
>> disk?)
>>
>> But even then (unlike most unix's) it prompts you
>> for the root password, i think. So dont forget it.
>> ------------------doug
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wlug mailing list
> Wlug(a)mail.wlug.org
> http://mail.wlug.org/mailman/listinfo/wlug
>
March 21, 2007
Progress with new Sparc????
by ken jones
Doug et al
I found my cross over cables. printenv told me to set up at 9600bps ASCI
8 none 1. I have tried VT100 and auto-detect. When I turn on the sparc
it tells me that it is using ttya for input. However, my hyperterminal
sees nothing. If I slow down the expected clock rate to 2400 I get to
letters "pp" when I startup the sparc. I do not get "ok" and I get no
response when I hit the "Enter" key. Too bad, since that connection
would allow me to show you what my terminal is saying.
I did get a good response from probe-scsi and probe-scsi-all. It saw
both hard drives.
I am now trying test-all. Last time it just hung but now it seems to be
correctly testing the terminal screen.
OKAY! I know something. Self test failed a Transceiver check. It says:
Transceiver check -- failed
Selftest Failed. Return Code = -1
Testing sbus@1f, 0/SUNW, fas@e 8800000
CE DMA fill from address ffef8000 for 80 bytes
Testing sbus@1f, 0/SUNW fdtwo@f, 1400000
Testing floppy disk system. A formatted disk should be in the drive.
No diskette or incorrect format.
Self test failed. Return code = -1
I wondered what is the "transceiver test" which is failing. The word
"transceiver" usually is referring to I/O. I was correct. I installed
the ethernet cable and the transceiver test passed.
I know one thing now. The CDROM reader does not work. Part of test-all
is to check for a formatted disk in the reader. I put a known good disk
in, but the SUN does not see it. That does not explain why it will not
boot up correctly. It should note that there is no disk and boot to
installed linux.
My latest status is to try booting over my office network. I gave my
home router/DHCP server the new sparc's ethernet address and assigned
an IP address. I have no idea whether the sparc is configured to
expect a DHCP address. I do not see where I can configure that.
Ken Jones
Doug Mildram wrote:
> doug> I know the Sparc a bit.
>
> give me a call hell, i am trashing sparc's here, incl. 1 ultra1
>
> also: sun keyboard is a big factor. If it's seen at powerup,
> its the console (monitor or no monitor)
>
> if keyb not attached on powerup,
> the com1 equivalent /dev/ttya (DIN or 25pin, varies)
> becomes the console.
>
>
> doug 508-243-6580 cell
>
>
> MORE RANDOM TIPS TO MYSELF YEARS AGO:
> on a SPARC instead of BIOS we have "eeprom" or "rom prompt"....
>
> There's no "F2" or "DELETE" hint during bootup,
> but there is one "dangerous" way to stop either the OS or the boot-up.
>
> L1-a or STOP-A is like a ctl-Z to the OS...or an interrupt a bootup.
>
> eeprom prompt is "ok"
> ok>
>
> If you accidentally STOP the OS by mistake you can get it to go BACK UP WITH
>
> ok> go
> or maybe
> ok> continue
>
> normally we do NOT DO MUCH with the eeprom settings,
> AND, it is possible to tweak eeprom settings from either situation:
> 1) from the ok> prompt with "setenv"
> 2) from SOLARIS with # eeprom
>
> So you can see all the settings with a simple anyuser% /usr/sbin/eeprom
>
> Syntax is slightly different. I wont talk about UNIX "eeprom" anymore
> except to say there is a man page.
>
> BACK TO THE ok> PROMPT you can...most notably:
>
> ok> setenv auto-boot? false
> or
> ok> setenv auto-boot? true
>
> the question mark is not a "wild character". It just implies
> that it's a true/false parameter.
>
> false means it will *NOT* boot to solaris... on power up.
> true means "normal"...will try to load solaris from boot-device
>
> a UNIX "reboot" command will override this setting.
>
> -----boot "device" in eeprom
> NORMALLY the eeprom setting for boot-device has a few words
> and "disk" should be the first word.
>
> ok> printenv boot-device
>
> may return disk diskbrd diskisp disksoc net
> I only know what "disk" and "net" means.....
> "net" is useless unless you have another "diskless server" set up.
>
>
>
> ok> probe-scsi (can you see the CD drive?)
> Target 0
> Unit 0 Disk .....
>
>
> maybe not . but if the CD is on an external scsi bus you may need to say
>
> ok> probe-scsi-all (can you see the CD drive?)
>
> pci@1f,4000/scsi@3,1 (a 2nd controller for the external scsi port)
> Target 6
> Unit 0 removable read only device TOSHIBA.....
> Unit 0 Disk .....
>
> pci@1f,4000/scsi@3
> Target 0
> Unit 0 Disk .....
>
> BACK TO installation. hopefully you simply say:
>
> with solaris2.7 CD in the drive,
>
> ok> boot cdrom
>
> didnt work? it must have been looking for
>
>
> ok> devalias
>
> shows
>
> cdrom /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@6,0:f
>
> BUT I HAD A CD drive on the 3,1 controller so I can say:
>
> boot /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3,1/disk@6,0:f
>
> AND THIS WORKED on this particular machine.
>
> (if you see the CD light come on, and eventually see some kernel string like
>
> SunOS 5.7 Generic_106541-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
>
>
> THEN YOU KNOW you got the right command.
>
> Next you hope your CD and CD drive dont have too many read errors.
>
> ok>
>
>
> SPECIAL BOOT ARGUMENT......to rebuild /dev* entries.
>
> lets say you ADD HARDWARE like a 2nd disk.
>
> UNIX% halt
> ...add a disk if you can...then you'd want to
>
> ok> boot -r (THIS Reconfigures /dev and /devices,
> so it would add /dev/???/??? for the new disk)
>
> SPECIAL BOOT ARGUMENT......to stop at singleuser.
>
>
> ok> boot -s (would stop at runlevel 1 for the default kernel ..on disk?)
>
> But even then (unlike most unix's) it prompts you
> for the root password, i think. So dont forget it. ------------------doug
>
>
>
>
March 20, 2007