WLUG
By thread
wlug@lists.wlug.org
By month
Messages by month
- ----- 2026 -----
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2025 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2024 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2023 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2022 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2021 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2020 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2019 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2018 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2017 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2016 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2015 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2014 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2013 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2012 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2011 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2010 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2009 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2008 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2007 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2006 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2005 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2004 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2003 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2002 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2001 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- ----- 2000 -----
- December
- November
- October
- September
- August
- July
- June
- May
- April
- March
- February
- January
- 11231 messages
Re: [EXT] Free, viable videoconferencing ?
by Tim Keller
My kids have been using the Zoom plugin on Chrome on the chromebook so
it'll work on linux.
On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 8:14 PM Chuck Anderson via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 07:48:12PM -0400, Michael Voorhis via WLUG wrote:
> > Does viable free videoconferencing software exist?
>
> Jitsi has been mentioned here before. I haven't looked into it:
>
> https://stackshare.io/stackups/jitsi-vs-zoom
> _______________________________________________
> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
> Change Settings:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
> Web Forum/Archive:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/KS3FX…
>
--
I am leery of the allegiances of any politician who refers to their
constituents as "consumers".
March 25, 2020
Re: [EXT] Free, viable videoconferencing ?
by Chuck Anderson
On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 07:48:12PM -0400, Michael Voorhis via WLUG wrote:
> Does viable free videoconferencing software exist?
Jitsi has been mentioned here before. I haven't looked into it:
https://stackshare.io/stackups/jitsi-vs-zoom
March 25, 2020
Free, viable videoconferencing ?
by Michael Voorhis
Does viable free videoconferencing software exist?
--MCV.
March 24, 2020
Fwd: IT Revolution: Spring Reads Free eBook Promotion!
by Eric Martin
I figured we all like good books for free. The days are off by one (DevOps Handbook is today) and on all of the platforms.
Eric
Begin forwarded message:
> From: IT Revolution <info(a)itrevolution.com>
> Date: March 24, 2020 at 1:22:07 PM EDT
> To: Eric Martin <eric.joshua.martin(a)gmail.com>
> Subject: IT Revolution: Spring Reads Free eBook Promotion!
> Reply-To: editorial(a)itrevolution.com
>
>
> Hey everyone!
>
> Starting today, we're offering three of our eBooks free for 24 hours each.
>
> March 23: The DevOps Handbook
> March 24: DevOps for the Modern Enterprise
> March 25: The Art of Business Value
> Follow @ITRevBooks here on Twitter to get all the details!
>
> While you're at it, help spread the word by retweeting, sharing on your social media platform of choice, or even forwarding along this email to friends and colleagues. :)
>
>
>
> Cheers,
> IT Revolution
>
>
> If you wish to stop receiving our emails or change your subscription options, please Manage Your Subscription
> IT Revolution, 25 NW 23rd Place, Suite 6314, Portland, OR 97210, US
March 24, 2020
Re: [EXT] Re: Physical WLUG Meeting is cancelled tomorrow...
by Tim Keller
Richard,
I'm also using hexchat on debian and it works great. I think it's what
"xchat" turned into.
Later,
Tim.
On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 12:33 PM Richard Klein via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
wrote:
> I've got HexChat up and running on Debian. I'll look for it next time I
> boot into Windows.
>
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 12:29 PM hammerron via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Rich,
>>
>> Just fyi, I use hexchat
>>
>> It seems pretty easy to operate
>>
>> Ron
>> On 3/22/20 9:05 AM, Richard Klein via WLUG wrote:
>>
>> I vaguely remember mirc. Neither mirc nor pirch were available through
>> the Microsoft Store. I installed something, but never got around to trying
>> it, and now I'm wfh on my own computer. I'll still be booting into Windows
>> for work, so, whatever it was, I'll probably install it again. Now I'm
>> trying to decide on an IRC client for Debian/Gnome...
>>
>> --
>> Rich
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 5:04 PM Chris Thompson via WLUG <
>> wlug(a)lists.wlug.org> wrote:
>>
>>> (PS - moderator, please ignore my last post from the incorrect
>>> address...doh! sorry.)
>>>
>>> LOL Chuck. That's not very nice, but...funny! :P
>>>
>>> Sorry to hear you are stuck with Windows 'cause of "the man". Haven't
>>> used it for a rather long time now, so I dunno if these still even
>>> exist, but mIRC I think was the last I used (before that Pirch rings a
>>> bell).
>>>
>>> There are great Web-based interfaces if you are maintaining a server
>>> somewhere - my favorite there is the node implementation called "The
>>> Lounge". https://thelounge.chat/docs Nice thing is it'll stay connected
>>> for
>>> you so you won't miss messages.
>>>
>>> --Chris
>>>
>>> On 3/18/20 2:30 PM, Chuck Anderson via WLUG wrote:
>>> > format c:
>>> >
>>> > (make sure to run from a CMD window with Administrator privileges)
>>> >
>>> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 02:22:25PM -0400, Richard Klein via WLUG wrote:
>>> >> Do you guys have a favorite IRC client for Windows?
>>> >>
>>> >> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM Chris Thompson via WLUG <
>>> wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
>>> >> wrote:
>>> >>
>>> >>> I would certainly recommend organizing in IRC, but for more
>>> interaction,
>>> >>> Jitsi is worth a shot.
>>> >>>
>>> >>> Zoom does work very well on Gnu/Linux, but yes - proprietary, so,
>>> >>> personally not interested in using them more than I already am
>>> coerced to
>>> >>> :P
>>> >>>
>>> >>> Jitsi usually handles rooms with up to about a dozen people pretty
>>> well,
>>> >>> but often struggles beyond that. Most issues are resolved with a
>>> simple
>>> >>> reload of the page.
>>> >>>
>>> >>> Try it out @ either of these instances, no registration require:
>>> >>>
>>> >>> https://meet.jit.si/ (typically pretty bleeding-edge, so sometimes
>>> less
>>> >>> stable)
>>> >>>
>>> >>> or:
>>> >>>
>>> >>> https://meet.mayfirst.org/ (pretty up to date, but generally more
>>> stable
>>> >>> of late)
>>> >>>
>>> >>> Tim, you may be able to recover your ident info with the following,
>>> once
>>> >>> you've connected with #Freenode. If the name is registered with
>>> >>> NickServ, it'll email you at the registered address:
>>> >>>
>>> >>> /msg NickServ SENDPASS turbox
>>> >>>
>>> >>> --Chris
>>> >>> IRC: wolcen
>>> >>>
>>> >>> On 3/18/20 11:28 AM, Keith Wright via WLUG wrote:
>>> >>>>> Subject: [WLUG] Re: Physical WLUG Meeting is cancelled tomorrow...
>>> >>>>> From: madserge--- via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>> Never used IRC before but I do have an app on Manjaro called
>>> >>>>> Konversation that I think is a IRC client, would like to join if
>>> anyone
>>> >>>>> can tell me any info about the chat room that would be great!
>>> >>>> How did this work?
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> I used IRC once before. A friend said "let's try this",
>>> >>>> and told me what program to run and how to start.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> The conversation went something like:
>>> >>>> Hi, are you there? Yes. It works! Yes. Well goodbye.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> That was many years ago, and I have forgotten the name
>>> >>>> of the program. Then I got busy and forgot the WLUG
>>> >>>> meeting entirely.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> Diane has been using something called Zoom on Windows.
>>> >>>> Google turns up some hints that Zoom can work on Linux,
>>> >>>> but it seems to be a binary mystery code that connects
>>> >>>> to the mother ship and does secret stuff...anybody know?
>>> > _______________________________________________
>>> > WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
>>> > To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
>>> > Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
>>> > Change Settings:
>>> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
>>> > Web Forum/Archive:
>>> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/YCS6I…
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
>>> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
>>> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
>>> Change Settings:
>>> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
>>> Web Forum/Archive:
>>> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/4HCI5…
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
>> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
>> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
>> Change Settings: https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
>> Web Forum/Archive: https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/NZRMC…
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
>> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
>> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
>> Change Settings:
>> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
>> Web Forum/Archive:
>> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/7UPSJ…
>>
> _______________________________________________
> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
> Change Settings:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
> Web Forum/Archive:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/3KX53…
>
--
I am leery of the allegiances of any politician who refers to their
constituents as "consumers".
March 23, 2020
Re: [EXT] Re: Physical WLUG Meeting is cancelled tomorrow...
by Richard Klein
I've got HexChat up and running on Debian. I'll look for it next time I
boot into Windows.
On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 12:29 PM hammerron via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
wrote:
> Rich,
>
> Just fyi, I use hexchat
>
> It seems pretty easy to operate
>
> Ron
> On 3/22/20 9:05 AM, Richard Klein via WLUG wrote:
>
> I vaguely remember mirc. Neither mirc nor pirch were available through
> the Microsoft Store. I installed something, but never got around to trying
> it, and now I'm wfh on my own computer. I'll still be booting into Windows
> for work, so, whatever it was, I'll probably install it again. Now I'm
> trying to decide on an IRC client for Debian/Gnome...
>
> --
> Rich
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 5:04 PM Chris Thompson via WLUG <
> wlug(a)lists.wlug.org> wrote:
>
>> (PS - moderator, please ignore my last post from the incorrect
>> address...doh! sorry.)
>>
>> LOL Chuck. That's not very nice, but...funny! :P
>>
>> Sorry to hear you are stuck with Windows 'cause of "the man". Haven't
>> used it for a rather long time now, so I dunno if these still even
>> exist, but mIRC I think was the last I used (before that Pirch rings a
>> bell).
>>
>> There are great Web-based interfaces if you are maintaining a server
>> somewhere - my favorite there is the node implementation called "The
>> Lounge". https://thelounge.chat/docs Nice thing is it'll stay connected
>> for
>> you so you won't miss messages.
>>
>> --Chris
>>
>> On 3/18/20 2:30 PM, Chuck Anderson via WLUG wrote:
>> > format c:
>> >
>> > (make sure to run from a CMD window with Administrator privileges)
>> >
>> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 02:22:25PM -0400, Richard Klein via WLUG wrote:
>> >> Do you guys have a favorite IRC client for Windows?
>> >>
>> >> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM Chris Thompson via WLUG <
>> wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
>> >> wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> I would certainly recommend organizing in IRC, but for more
>> interaction,
>> >>> Jitsi is worth a shot.
>> >>>
>> >>> Zoom does work very well on Gnu/Linux, but yes - proprietary, so,
>> >>> personally not interested in using them more than I already am
>> coerced to
>> >>> :P
>> >>>
>> >>> Jitsi usually handles rooms with up to about a dozen people pretty
>> well,
>> >>> but often struggles beyond that. Most issues are resolved with a
>> simple
>> >>> reload of the page.
>> >>>
>> >>> Try it out @ either of these instances, no registration require:
>> >>>
>> >>> https://meet.jit.si/ (typically pretty bleeding-edge, so sometimes
>> less
>> >>> stable)
>> >>>
>> >>> or:
>> >>>
>> >>> https://meet.mayfirst.org/ (pretty up to date, but generally more
>> stable
>> >>> of late)
>> >>>
>> >>> Tim, you may be able to recover your ident info with the following,
>> once
>> >>> you've connected with #Freenode. If the name is registered with
>> >>> NickServ, it'll email you at the registered address:
>> >>>
>> >>> /msg NickServ SENDPASS turbox
>> >>>
>> >>> --Chris
>> >>> IRC: wolcen
>> >>>
>> >>> On 3/18/20 11:28 AM, Keith Wright via WLUG wrote:
>> >>>>> Subject: [WLUG] Re: Physical WLUG Meeting is cancelled tomorrow...
>> >>>>> From: madserge--- via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> Never used IRC before but I do have an app on Manjaro called
>> >>>>> Konversation that I think is a IRC client, would like to join if
>> anyone
>> >>>>> can tell me any info about the chat room that would be great!
>> >>>> How did this work?
>> >>>>
>> >>>> I used IRC once before. A friend said "let's try this",
>> >>>> and told me what program to run and how to start.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> The conversation went something like:
>> >>>> Hi, are you there? Yes. It works! Yes. Well goodbye.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> That was many years ago, and I have forgotten the name
>> >>>> of the program. Then I got busy and forgot the WLUG
>> >>>> meeting entirely.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Diane has been using something called Zoom on Windows.
>> >>>> Google turns up some hints that Zoom can work on Linux,
>> >>>> but it seems to be a binary mystery code that connects
>> >>>> to the mother ship and does secret stuff...anybody know?
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
>> > To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
>> > Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
>> > Change Settings:
>> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
>> > Web Forum/Archive:
>> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/YCS6I…
>> _______________________________________________
>> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
>> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
>> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
>> Change Settings:
>> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
>> Web Forum/Archive:
>> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/4HCI5…
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
> Change Settings: https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
> Web Forum/Archive: https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/NZRMC…
>
> _______________________________________________
> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
> Change Settings:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
> Web Forum/Archive:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/7UPSJ…
>
March 22, 2020
Re: [EXT] Re: Physical WLUG Meeting is cancelled tomorrow...
by hammerron
Rich,
Just fyi, I use hexchat
It seems pretty easy to operate
Ron
On 3/22/20 9:05 AM, Richard Klein via WLUG wrote:
> I vaguely remember mirc. Neither mirc nor pirch were available
> through the Microsoft Store. I installed something, but never got
> around to trying it, and now I'm wfh on my own computer. I'll still
> be booting into Windows for work, so, whatever it was, I'll probably
> install it again. Now I'm trying to decide on an IRC client for
> Debian/Gnome...
>
> --
> Rich
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 5:04 PM Chris Thompson via WLUG
> <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org <mailto:wlug@lists.wlug.org>> wrote:
>
> (PS - moderator, please ignore my last post from the incorrect
> address...doh! sorry.)
>
> LOL Chuck. That's not very nice, but...funny! :P
>
> Sorry to hear you are stuck with Windows 'cause of "the man". Haven't
> used it for a rather long time now, so I dunno if these still even
> exist, but mIRC I think was the last I used (before that Pirch rings a
> bell).
>
> There are great Web-based interfaces if you are maintaining a server
> somewhere - my favorite there is the node implementation called "The
> Lounge". https://thelounge.chat/docs Nice thing is it'll stay
> connected for
> you so you won't miss messages.
>
> --Chris
>
> On 3/18/20 2:30 PM, Chuck Anderson via WLUG wrote:
> > format c:
> >
> > (make sure to run from a CMD window with Administrator privileges)
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 02:22:25PM -0400, Richard Klein via WLUG
> wrote:
> >> Do you guys have a favorite IRC client for Windows?
> >>
> >> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM Chris Thompson via WLUG
> <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org <mailto:wlug@lists.wlug.org>>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> I would certainly recommend organizing in IRC, but for more
> interaction,
> >>> Jitsi is worth a shot.
> >>>
> >>> Zoom does work very well on Gnu/Linux, but yes - proprietary, so,
> >>> personally not interested in using them more than I already am
> coerced to
> >>> :P
> >>>
> >>> Jitsi usually handles rooms with up to about a dozen people
> pretty well,
> >>> but often struggles beyond that. Most issues are resolved with
> a simple
> >>> reload of the page.
> >>>
> >>> Try it out @ either of these instances, no registration require:
> >>>
> >>> https://meet.jit.si/ (typically pretty bleeding-edge, so
> sometimes less
> >>> stable)
> >>>
> >>> or:
> >>>
> >>> https://meet.mayfirst.org/ (pretty up to date, but generally
> more stable
> >>> of late)
> >>>
> >>> Tim, you may be able to recover your ident info with the
> following, once
> >>> you've connected with #Freenode. If the name is registered with
> >>> NickServ, it'll email you at the registered address:
> >>>
> >>> /msg NickServ SENDPASS turbox
> >>>
> >>> --Chris
> >>> IRC: wolcen
> >>>
> >>> On 3/18/20 11:28 AM, Keith Wright via WLUG wrote:
> >>>>> Subject: [WLUG] Re: Physical WLUG Meeting is cancelled
> tomorrow...
> >>>>> From: madserge--- via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
> <mailto:wlug@lists.wlug.org>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Never used IRC before but I do have an app on Manjaro called
> >>>>> Konversation that I think is a IRC client, would like to
> join if anyone
> >>>>> can tell me any info about the chat room that would be great!
> >>>> How did this work?
> >>>>
> >>>> I used IRC once before. A friend said "let's try this",
> >>>> and told me what program to run and how to start.
> >>>>
> >>>> The conversation went something like:
> >>>> Hi, are you there? Yes. It works! Yes. Well goodbye.
> >>>>
> >>>> That was many years ago, and I have forgotten the name
> >>>> of the program. Then I got busy and forgot the WLUG
> >>>> meeting entirely.
> >>>>
> >>>> Diane has been using something called Zoom on Windows.
> >>>> Google turns up some hints that Zoom can work on Linux,
> >>>> but it seems to be a binary mystery code that connects
> >>>> to the mother ship and does secret stuff...anybody know?
> > _______________________________________________
> > WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
> <mailto:wlug@lists.wlug.org>
> > To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
> <mailto:wlug-leave@lists.wlug.org>
> > Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
> > Change Settings:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
> > Web Forum/Archive:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/YCS6I…
> _______________________________________________
> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org <mailto:wlug@lists.wlug.org>
> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
> <mailto:wlug-leave@lists.wlug.org>
> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
> Change Settings:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
> Web Forum/Archive:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/4HCI5…
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
> Change Settings: https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
> Web Forum/Archive: https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/NZRMC…
March 22, 2020
Re: [EXT] Re: Physical WLUG Meeting is cancelled tomorrow...
by Richard Klein
I vaguely remember mirc. Neither mirc nor pirch were available through the
Microsoft Store. I installed something, but never got around to trying it,
and now I'm wfh on my own computer. I'll still be booting into Windows for
work, so, whatever it was, I'll probably install it again. Now I'm trying
to decide on an IRC client for Debian/Gnome...
--
Rich
On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 5:04 PM Chris Thompson via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
wrote:
> (PS - moderator, please ignore my last post from the incorrect
> address...doh! sorry.)
>
> LOL Chuck. That's not very nice, but...funny! :P
>
> Sorry to hear you are stuck with Windows 'cause of "the man". Haven't
> used it for a rather long time now, so I dunno if these still even
> exist, but mIRC I think was the last I used (before that Pirch rings a
> bell).
>
> There are great Web-based interfaces if you are maintaining a server
> somewhere - my favorite there is the node implementation called "The
> Lounge". https://thelounge.chat/docs Nice thing is it'll stay connected
> for
> you so you won't miss messages.
>
> --Chris
>
> On 3/18/20 2:30 PM, Chuck Anderson via WLUG wrote:
> > format c:
> >
> > (make sure to run from a CMD window with Administrator privileges)
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 02:22:25PM -0400, Richard Klein via WLUG wrote:
> >> Do you guys have a favorite IRC client for Windows?
> >>
> >> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM Chris Thompson via WLUG <
> wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> I would certainly recommend organizing in IRC, but for more
> interaction,
> >>> Jitsi is worth a shot.
> >>>
> >>> Zoom does work very well on Gnu/Linux, but yes - proprietary, so,
> >>> personally not interested in using them more than I already am coerced
> to
> >>> :P
> >>>
> >>> Jitsi usually handles rooms with up to about a dozen people pretty
> well,
> >>> but often struggles beyond that. Most issues are resolved with a simple
> >>> reload of the page.
> >>>
> >>> Try it out @ either of these instances, no registration require:
> >>>
> >>> https://meet.jit.si/ (typically pretty bleeding-edge, so sometimes
> less
> >>> stable)
> >>>
> >>> or:
> >>>
> >>> https://meet.mayfirst.org/ (pretty up to date, but generally more
> stable
> >>> of late)
> >>>
> >>> Tim, you may be able to recover your ident info with the following,
> once
> >>> you've connected with #Freenode. If the name is registered with
> >>> NickServ, it'll email you at the registered address:
> >>>
> >>> /msg NickServ SENDPASS turbox
> >>>
> >>> --Chris
> >>> IRC: wolcen
> >>>
> >>> On 3/18/20 11:28 AM, Keith Wright via WLUG wrote:
> >>>>> Subject: [WLUG] Re: Physical WLUG Meeting is cancelled tomorrow...
> >>>>> From: madserge--- via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Never used IRC before but I do have an app on Manjaro called
> >>>>> Konversation that I think is a IRC client, would like to join if
> anyone
> >>>>> can tell me any info about the chat room that would be great!
> >>>> How did this work?
> >>>>
> >>>> I used IRC once before. A friend said "let's try this",
> >>>> and told me what program to run and how to start.
> >>>>
> >>>> The conversation went something like:
> >>>> Hi, are you there? Yes. It works! Yes. Well goodbye.
> >>>>
> >>>> That was many years ago, and I have forgotten the name
> >>>> of the program. Then I got busy and forgot the WLUG
> >>>> meeting entirely.
> >>>>
> >>>> Diane has been using something called Zoom on Windows.
> >>>> Google turns up some hints that Zoom can work on Linux,
> >>>> but it seems to be a binary mystery code that connects
> >>>> to the mother ship and does secret stuff...anybody know?
> > _______________________________________________
> > WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
> > To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
> > Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
> > Change Settings:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
> > Web Forum/Archive:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/YCS6I…
> _______________________________________________
> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
> Change Settings:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
> Web Forum/Archive:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/4HCI5…
>
March 22, 2020
Re: YAICB (Yet Another Intel Cpu Bug) only worse...
by John Stoffel
>>>>> "Chuck" == Chuck Anderson via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org> writes:
Chuck> On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:19:22AM -0400, Jeff Moyer via WLUG wrote:
>> Chuck Anderson via WLUG <wlug(a)lists.wlug.org> writes:
>>
>> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 09:18:48PM -0400, Michael Voorhis via WLUG wrote:
>> >> > All things will have bugs. I like AMD because they're the underdog
>> >> > and competition is good.
>> >>
>> >> Competition IS good.
>> >>
>> >> None of my software has any bugs of any kind. Not a one, I tell you.
>> >
>> > It is time for an Open Source CPU/chipset. No more hidden code.
>>
>> I think RISC-V is as close as you're going to get in the near term.
>> This entry from Bunnie Huang's blog may be of interest to you:
>>
>> https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=5706
Chuck> Thanks for that. Now I'll go back to using my Apple II with
Chuck> its 6502 CPU. Does anyone have an electron microscope I can
Chuck> borrow?
LOL! There's a limit to how paranoid you can get.
March 19, 2020
Re: YAICB (Yet Another Intel Cpu Bug) only worse...
by soup
Power9 / https://www.raptorcs.com/ is the only one with modern grunt, tmk.
The whole thing's open. Spendy but not for what it is.
-soup
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:18 AM Michael Voorhis via WLUG <
wlug(a)lists.wlug.org> wrote:
> On 3/19/20 11:01 AM, Chuck Anderson via WLUG wrote:
> > It is time for an Open Source CPU/chipset. No more hidden code.
>
> Are there any viable contenders, in your opinion.
> _______________________________________________
> WLUG mailing list -- wlug(a)lists.wlug.org
> To unsubscribe send an email to wlug-leave(a)lists.wlug.org
> Create Account: https://wlug.mailman3.com/accounts/signup/
> Change Settings:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/postorius/lists/wlug.lists.wlug.org/
> Web Forum/Archive:
> https://wlug.mailman3.com/hyperkitty/list/wlug@lists.wlug.org/message/HK5XF…
>
March 19, 2020